|Missing chunk of fiberglass|
First step is to sand and clean the area. I used 80 grit sandpaper to give the fiberglass some bite, making sure I got both sides roughed up.
|Mesh gives it some backing|
|Bondo with fiberglass strands|
|Spreading the Bondo Glass|
I made a small batch to spread on the underside, where the mesh is exposed. This should help 'lock' down the mesh should the adhesive fail over time. After a 15-20 minute wait for curing, it is time to sand.
|Sanding, sanding, and some more sanding|
Good tip. I wet sanded the Bondo, working my way from 80 grit, 120 grit, and 320 grit. This step took a while. Luckily, I had my laptop in the trunk, just above these images, and I was streaming Netflix while working on this project.
|Looks like an orca|
|Good old SEM Trim Black|
Oh wait, I need drill a hole for that final screw. Since I do not have the threaded insert, the lazy thing to do is to attach a corresponding nut to the hole. I used some JB Weld to 'weld' a nut on the underside of the repaired hole. There is not much stress in this area. Heck, for years, there was nothing for the screw to screw into. So, a glued nut works fine...until it fails.
The access plate goes back in with all the screws holding down the plate. The shock tower brace goes back on, and we are done.
Total project time was about two hours. This includes mixing and curing time for the filling compounds. Oh, and a lot of sanding.